I love giving gifts. Maybe even more than getting them! Here is my ultimate gift list for this season: some of these finds I will be festively wrapping to give away, and others I hope to find under the Christmas tree for myself. If you’re looking for gift ideas for a girl that likes at least one of the following, then keep on reading:
Ethical fashion // Fair trade // Yoga // Ballet // Fitness // Indie movies // Chocolate// Candles //Bottles with nice smelling luxurious things
Left to right, top to bottom:
1. Gift certificate to her favorite movie theater. My #1 choice is Angelika for the best selection of indie and foreign movies. The Intouchables and Café de Flore were my favorite, most moving films shown at Angelika this year.
2. Ambrette 9 perfume by Le Labo. Because it smells like heaven. Because it’s handmade. And because it will have her name right on the bottle.
3. “Ballet Beautiful” book by Mary Helen Bowers. She taught Natalie Portman how to awe everyone with ballet moves for Black Swan, and has successful studio in Soho where she teaches ballet as a way to be fit, graceful and fabulous. Need I say more?
4. Free Loved Radiant canvas tote from Stop Traffick Fashion (Ashoka), a fun tote that not only is cute, organic and fair trade, but also supports survivors of human trafficking. #FairTuesday partner alert!
5. L’Espoir suede cord bracelet from Stop Traffick Fashion as well. A pretty gift that gives twice.
6. Unscented Shea Body Butter from Shea Yeleen. I love using shea products – it’s the nature’s perfect moisturizer, especially for the winter months when our skin gets dry from the heating.
7. The Mad Sampler from Madécasse environmentally friendly Madagascar chocolate. Just think about it: 70% of the world’s cocoa comes from Africa, but less than 1% of chocolate is made there. So by buying Africa-made chocolate you’re directly supporting the farmers. I ordered the sampler on #FairTuesday, thinking that it would make a perfect gift, but it so happened that it’s almost gone by now. Yum!
8. 100% Alpaca Fair Trade Leg Warmers from Greenheart Shop. For someone who takes dance and/or yoga on a daily basis like I do, it’s a necessity in the winter months (that also happens to look totally irresistible with leggings).
9. Okay, maybe I should have kept this one my little secret, but I’m so in love with this find that I have to tell you about it. You can actually write thoughts and messages on this Modern Alchemy Chalk Candle. Think something Song of Style-spirited. How awesome is that? I got it for a fraction of its price at Marshalls.
10. Nisolo is one of the brands I discovered while working on #FairTuesday. By buying this Sobre Leather Clutch (in a color that you can’t go wrong with – camel) you will support incredibly talented leather artisans in Peru.
11. Last but not least: Sseko Sandals are a no-brainer as a gift. I have a red pair and they accompany me on every trip that involves sun and sand. The straps can be tied in dozens of ways – perfect for the creative girl! – and be switched out to different colors. Ssekos are comfy, look stylish on, and above all, help talented young women in Uganda to pursue college degrees.
Are you convinced yet that GOOD gifts can be beautiful and stylish? I hope so. Give good gifts. After all, no one has ever become poor by giving.